Tuesday, August 16, 2005

River Catchers

Ever feel like you're playing at a table with a bunch of chasers that ALWAYS hit their card on the river?

Just got through playing a S&G, and the guy two seats to my right was all-in against me 4 or 5 times and caught his 1,2,3 outer on the river every time.

JediHog - 74s
Riverman - 10-2s
Flop - 334
Turn - Q
River - 10

JediHog - QJs
Riverman - Q-10o
Flop 34Qx
Turn 7
River - 10

JediHog - K-10o
Riverman - 68s
Flop K-10-9
Turn - 2
River - 7

Over and over and over again. It's tough to play a solid hour of poker, playing really well, to get rivered out of the tourney.

My last hand of the tourney - final 3 at the table:

JediHog Q2s
I call BB of 200
Riverman reraises to 400
I call
Flop A-4-A
Riverman Checks
JediHog bets 1500 (2x Pot)
Riverman calls
Turn - 8
Riverman bets - 1250 (all my chips)
I accidentally clicked the "call any" button while on the phone....didn't realize it was checked. So I'm all in.
River - 3
He flips up 3-3 for the rivered boat

I was on a bluff, but how in the world can the guy call a 2x pot sized bet with 33 when AA is on the board? Amazing.

I finished 3rd despite being in the chip lead until Riverman started his river run.

3 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

On the last hand the only logic I can think of for his play was that he questioned why you would bet like that if you had the A when the obvious move would be to check and trap especially as he was the initial raiser.

Also if he put you in for all your chips thats a strong move.Was he high up in the chip count?Bullying and bluffing? A fish who bluffed and couldn't get away from it?

You must survive in a tourney and unless you have the nuts he knows its hard for you to call.( unless you click the wrong button!)

You never reraised him preflop so its unlikely you had AK,AQ or AJ.Even if you had the A he's asking you to question your kicker.

More about what you're not holding rather than what hes got.He probably knows you know he's not got much but he also knows you may not want to risk crashing out to find out.

Of course I don't know the chip counts,table images,position and stuff so if all that I've written is total crap thats my excuse.lol.

Good luck.
Little Acornman

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger TripJax said...

I think I'm with littleacornman on this one. If he doesn't think you have the Ace - which is a pretty good bet considering your overbet of the pot - then A4A is a pretty good hand for him. If he thinks you're not holding the Ace and it's a good bet your not holding the 4, then his only worry at that point should be if you have a higher pocket pair or if a scare card hits on turn or river.

It's always tough to evaluate play after the fact, but I can't fault either of you under the circumstances. I'm probably folding his all-in bet, but like you mentioned, it was an accidental call...

Did Absolute/PSO ever make good on the 9000 points??!!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger jedihog said...

Yeah, good points on both the above comments. Thanks for the feedback. Overbetting is something that I didn't even consider when I threw the bet out there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home